Tuesday, April 28, 2020

just wait a second, okay?

five years isn't that long of a time, is it? it's not like a new decade started. it's not like I had time to get a second bachelor's degree. (I mean, I did. But I also didn't). I couldn't have changed my profession to science. or moved three times and lived on a houseboat without real plumbing. (the kitchen sink drained into a lake).

my mom didn't sell the house I grew up in, and I couldn't have driven a small boxtruck through a class 4 wind storm and four states to bring her her mattress and heavy wooden bed frame.

we couldn't have a new president. especially not one who thinks you can inject disinfectant into your body to fight germs??

my dad and I didn't visit the statue of liberty that one February, and he definitely didn't elope without telling me to a woman I met just one time. you know, that time in the dark, while she smoked cigarettes on their shared back porch. the one who lives in the other half of his duplex. in new jersey. the place I grew up? the place I haven't been to in over a year.

it's not like there's been a world-wide pandemic or anything.

five years. it's not so long of a while, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment